Thursday, August 12, 2010

Settled in

Where have the last couple of months gone! I have now sat in around three council meetings, around four planning meetings, a corporate, a sprinkling of community meetings and yesterday I met with the beat Sergeant for Coalpool. We discussed issues of anti-social behaviour between Hospital St and Croft Street. I also met with a number of residents last night from said area. Hopefully in early September we will see the beginning of the end of some of these problems.

It is always a pleasure to meet residents, even in such circumstances. I have a surgery in Beechdale at the weekend. This is on Saturday at the lifelong learning centre at 10am, Saturday. My birthday! I hope to see more people there.

In the meantime, we now see the full extent of the Conservative manifesto pledges. Can you afford a VAT rise of 2.5%? Hard working families will be hit hardest by this rise. And the Liberals? A moderating force within government? No, they smelt the power and sold their party's soul for 30 pieces of silver. The by-elections in Bloxwich West and Bilston North are an ominous warning for the Liberals. They may yet be con-demmed.

Lastly, I pay tribute to Councillor Al Griffiths, Conservative member for Rushall-Shelfield. Despite political differences, it was clear that this unassuming and considered gentleman was regarded by all members in the chamber with respect. His sad passing is a loss to Walsall and his family has my deepest symapthies.

No comments:

Post a Comment